Monday, February 19, 2007

“Rename your object or delete the existing object”. Error

I hit another problem while I was doing the gradual upgrade. The site upgrade process was complaining that the site is already exists and stope the site upgrade process before get completed successfully with following error message.

An object of the type Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication named "RegionalServices_Pair" already exists under the parent Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService named "". Rename your object or delete the existing object.

I couldn’t find the object mentioned in the error message through STSADM tool. I was trying to delete it or trying to access the site through STSADM command with out any luck.

Finally I figure out the way to fix this problem through the Central Administration pages

  • Open the Central Administration site
  • Go to Application Manager
  • Select Delete Web Application link
  • Select the site mention in your error message
  • Choose to delete the Content database and the IIS Web site
  • Navigate to Site content upgrade status under Operation tab
  • Rerun the site upgrade

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, thanks.

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big help for me too, appreciated :)

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how to fix when central administration is dead ? :s

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my case I want to delete all the objects that I just installed using stsadmin. I need to reinstall and it's keeps saying object already exists (and all of these objects are coming from elements.xml file).

WHAT TO DO???????? GOOGLED FOR LAST 4 HOURS.

 
At 1:55 AM, Anonymous digital signature certificate said...

Congratulations, your blog is appealing and informative. Going through your Information, I found quite a few new ideas to implement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home